Wednesday, September 3, 2008

a must-read for every man on the internet

“I’m looking for a lady in public, but a shameless hussy in private.”

This tender line was written in a 50-year-old man’s RSVP profile. Clearly, he knows the way to a girl’s heart.

My good friend Jasmine and I have a great hobby: combing through profiles on online dating sites and laughing at the terrible ones.We do this because we’re horrible, horrible people.

But really, if you’re a balding goth that craps on about Norse mythology, or you upload a photo of your obese, hairy self wearing only tiny rugby shorts, you really should expect to be laughed at.

I must say, I’m glad that I’m not single and to the point where I’m trawling these online dating sites, otherwise I’d be extremely depressed. The good men are obviously socially interacting in the outside world and the other ones are trying to find a lady on the ‘net.

Anyway, profiles tell a lot about a person. I’ve learnt to read between the lines and see who the real man is behind “a nice guy looking for the girl of his dreams”.


1. On Interests
A lot of profiles are quite insistent on “an active lifestyle”. Basically, there seems to be a lot of single jetskiers/rollerbladers/tennis players/etc looking for love. And they’re looking for a lady to do all of that with. Here I was thinking that these guys were looking for a root, but they’re actually really looking for a chick to play badminton with.

Manblading can disturb your perfectly balanced beer, not to mention your libido.

What he’s trying to say: I’m not a fat nerd that sits around on the net all day, even though I’m on a dating site.
Reality: NO FAT CHICKS.

On the flip side, a lot of online dating wannabes also mention that they don’t like going out to pubs/clubs and would rather stay at home and watch DVDs. Now I have nothing against that, but its said like us pub-going folk are horrible sleazy people who will be lonely for the rest of their lives, because they like have a schooner or two down at their local. That's not true! Only about a third of pub-goers are sleazy, lonely old men.

What he’s trying to say: I’m a gentleman because I don’t get wasted and grind up on random ladies. I’ll even watch girly movies with you. How sensitive and lovely of me.
Reality: I probably can’t handle my liquor.

I find this very depressing because I am not an active lady and I enjoy tequila shots.

2. On being a gentleman or a nice guy
Based on personal experience, nearly every guy who says that they’re “gentlemen” or “nice guys” are the complete opposite. Be wary of words like “chivalrous”. Sure, the gentlemen of old did nice things like open doors and pull out chairs, but then again women used to be exchanged for real estate and people used to think the world was flat. So-called "gentlemen" often do not understand concepts like women standing up for themselves, having lives of their own and enjoying themselves without having dinner bought for them. They're about as fun as going out with your Dad. If your Dad was the dude from 10 Things I Hate About You.

“Nice guys” are a different kettle of fish altogether. You know those guys who whinge that “nice guys finish last” and neglect the fact that their wooing techniques are outdated, annoying or just plain creepy? Rather than go on about it, I shall direct you to this incredibly accurate livejournal entry on the topic.


“Romeo! Romeo! GET THE HELL OFF MY BALCONY BEFORE I SLAP A RESTRAINING ORDER ON YOUR ASS!”

Let’s just say that I’ve met my share of “nice guys” and “gentlemen”. They’re all the same. They disguise themselves as super sensitive guys for some reason, because apparently, as a woman, I’m into guys who spend more time crying and styling their hair than I do.

You know what I like? Guys who don’t need to explain how nice they are and just do it naturally. It’s like when people have to explain a joke; if it needs to be explained, it’s probably not funny.

Indeed, why do girls go for the bad boys?
Because they’re better in bed.

What they’re trying to say: I’m a gentleman and a nice guy.
Reality: Women exist to be girlfriends and make my life complete. I’m going to buy you flowers and if you don’t praise me like a god and let me have sex with you, I’ll stab you in the face. Oh no, where are you going? Please don’t leave me, I love you. FOREVER.

3. On coming across as mentally unstable
Online profiles are hard to write. How do you really capture the true essence of your being in a few words?

There’s a golden rule of dating that says: Don’t talk about the ex on the first date. Some guys seem to cancel themselves immediately by talking about the ex and other such heartbreak on their profiles.

Seriously, when I was single, a few prospective internet daters decided preface them asking me out by telling me their girl problems. The bitch that fought with him, the whore that manipulated him, the beautiful woman that rejected him, the “women are awful” rant…followed by “So, wanna go out sometime?”
What do they reckon girls would think? “Ooh, he’s a misogynist with emotional baggage. Take me now.”

They’re usually the same sort of guy as the “nice guy” above. Watch out!

What they’re trying to say: I’m a beautiful, wounded soul with a broken heart that only you can heal.
Reality: I’ve got issues.

4. On what they’re looking for
Obese, crusty old men with neckbeards have no right to specify that they’re only looking for a slim, attractive, possibly Asian woman ten years younger than them, and that bigger girls need not apply. End of story.


Beware the dreaded neckbeard!

What they’re trying to say: I like pretty ladies.
Reality: I have unrealistically high standards.

5. On being a wanker
I’ve only come across a select few of these profiles but they exist. Basically, they’re indie dudes who pride themselves on not being conventionally masculine and patronising anyone who is. Their favourite movies/music/books reads like somebody compiled a list of alternative pop culture to namedrop in order to sound cool. They effectively patronise people by saying things like, “if you’re the type of girl who ‘lykez having fun wif her friends lol’, don’t talk to me.”

If you’re the type of guy that wears berets and ‘adores post-modern arthouse movies and T.S Eliot’, don’t talk to me.

There was a fellow that Jas and I looked at who rambled on about how his dream girl has to match his level of intelligence. It’s a long story, but basically this fellow was going to ask me out over myspace, despite the fact I’ve never met or talked to him. I seem to attract a lot of unstable men, for some reason. Anyway, said fellow is coincidentally in some of my uni classes (small world again); his “intelligent” contributions to the lectures are so utterly banal that I’m embarrassed for him. Imagine if I had gone out with him! I can't see that relationship lasting beyond a single wanky comment in a lecture, followed by me throwing my laptop at him.

Again, if you have to explain to people that you’re intelligent, you’re probably not.

The irony of this is that no matter how intelligent and cultured and so goddamn different you try and appear to be, you can’t escape the fact that you’re advertising yourself for romance on a commercial dating site.

What they’re trying to say: I’m a very interesting person.
Reality: I have a massive ego. Massive. My god, I just do not understand why women don’t flock to me at the thought of my enormous, throbbing…brain.

6. On Being "Open Minded"

What they're trying to say: I am open minded.
Reality: I like kinky anal sex.

And I haven’t even gotten started on the women. They’re more or less the same anyway, but without neckbeards. That’s a blog for another day…

And with my powers combined, I am… A BAD DATING PROFILE!

"Why don’t girls like nice boys?”
Hi, I’m a nice guy looking for a nice girl. A nice girl is someone who is nicer than my ex-girlfriend, who is a SELFISH BITCH WHORE WHO NEEDS TO DIE.

I’m into paragliding, lacrosse and curling. I’m looking for a girl who likes doing all these things with me. I hate going out to bars, clubs, parties, or any event where people are talking and smiling and whatnot. When I’m not paragliding, playing lacrosse or curling, I like watching DVDs at home.

My favourite movies are anything foreign and anything that David from The Movie Show likes.

As you can see in the picture, I have auburn hair, brown eyes and broad shoulders.

I’m a chivalrous gentleman who is into holding open doors, buying dinner and not letting you vote. Drop me a line ;)


Who I'm looking for:
I’m looking for a girl who is petite, has the body of Jennifer Hawkins, around ten years younger than me and can keep up with my witty, intelligent banter.



DISCLAIMER IN CASE YOU MISS THE POINT OF THINGS AND ARE ABOUT TO SEND ME AN ANGRY COMMENT ABOUT HOW HORRIBLY SEXIST I AM:
This isn't a rant against ALL men. I quite like most men, and I find I get along with the opposite sex better than other women. Most of them are kind, fun and wear nice cologne. This is an entry mocking men who are obviously trying too hard in the dating game and put ridiculous things on their profiles that drive women away without them realising it. And I think some women are pretty stupid too. Just so you know.

2 comments:

Peter Taggart said...

Wow, this blog is great. You should do a feature about dating profiles if you havent already. But I have to say, to defend my own sex, I have seen some pretty poor female dating profiles, ranging from the "I am pretty and domesticated and I want to get married tomorrow in order to prove my mother and sister wrong" to, "I am a free spirit and a slut and aint nothing or no-one is gonna hold me down...but I want to get married tomorrow".
Still, the whole was hilarious and very accurate.
Oh, and I really want to know who the guy in your lecture is. There are a lot of people who make 'banal' comments, but I bet I know them!

Anonymous said...

Yay to dating sites. I learnt my lesson that they are not the way to go =PPP Ahaha the guy in your lecture looks like a pedo panda.

Also, I was thinking about lulzy dating sites last night, and had a flashback to the,
"if you are older than my mum and weigh more than a roller coaster, YOU CAN'T RIDE THIS RIDE.." guy.
You know the one, follow the links and.. Ride the ride? Definitely a class act. Comes equipped with own tanning bed, and free HJ refills.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/xx_Dragana_xx/Babes/brisbane_personals_11922575.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/xx_Dragana_xx/Babes/brisbane_personals_23544207.jpg

My ideal bf - he's Lord of the Internets.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/xx_Dragana_xx/Babes/myspacelosers48zg9.jpg

Past posts