Wednesday, December 19, 2007

SEX! Now that I've got your attention....

Let me set the scene for you.

It was 3am. I was lying in a strange park, alone, where my supposed friend had left me to go have sex with a stranger.


"It's 3am. Do you know where Ellie is?"
"I told you for the last time, no!"


I wish I was making this up, or it was a scene in an American frathouse comedy, where we all laugh at the girl being left behind in the park as her totally hot and popular friend gets it on with a football player and they find true love.

Since then, I've been feeling hurt, angry and a little lonely. Mainly, I've been completely disgusted with humanity in general. Myself and some other people I know have lost good, potential life-long friends... through sex, and the drama that follows it.

It's usually the "I'm really drunk" or "I'm just really horny" sort of sex. I personally don't understand that sort of thing. The times I've had sex were in relationships. There have been times where I have had the opportunity to have casual sex, but refused. I'm not comfortable enough with my body to show my nudity to many people. I also have a habit of getting a bit too attached when somebody shows interest in me.

Basically, I'd be the sort of girl who would cuddle after sex, ring them the next day and hold their hand in public. Then it would inevitably end in tears, with me sobbing "Why don't you LOVE me? WE MADE LOVE!" and him screaming "STOP CALLING ME, YOU STALKER". Yep, casual sex isn't for me.


Me: The Bunny Boiler.

But that's not really where my disgust lies. We are all human, after all. I could really care less about other people's sex lives.

My disgust lies in the way that casual sex seems to be prioritised above so many things in people's lives. As mentioned before, it has destroyed some good friendships. Nearly everybody has had that one (or two) friends who have pursued their ex, who still has a place in their world; or more seriously, the person who agrees to helping their friend’s significant other cheat.
I just don't understand how these things happen.

I was once in a relationship where due to various circumstances (mainly, both of us being completely dysfunctional), I barely saw my friends and my boyfriend was put above everything else. It wasn't healthy and I was extremely lonely. After the ex and I broke up, I methodically went to get my friends back. I was much happier. I learnt my lesson - that friends are far more important than being able to kiss a boy, any day.

And so, I thought, from the nagging I had gotten from my friends when I came back to them, I supposed that everybody else knew this as well. Everyone needs friends. Part of friendship is looking out for each other and, well, not hurting each other.

How is it okay to prioritise getting some cock over considering your friend's feelings and safety?


I'd rather go hang out with my friends than get intimate with a cock.

The aforementioned friend in my horribly ridiculous tale claimed that I spent time with my boyfriend when I should have been spending time with her. Yet, I got in trouble for not entirely supporting her when she went to go have sex with that fellow.

Has humanity really gotten to a stage where a drunken shag is deemed more significant than a healthy, long-term, romantic relationship? Have the single people vomiting upon the sight of a couple finally won out the competition of “What is the status quo”?

I'm beginning to feel like a freak. We’re told to “have fun” because we’re young so we’d better go out, get paralytic-drunk, take lots of drugs and go have sex with everybody. Because we only live once, and live fast die young, etc.

I don't see the appeal in that lifestyle. Moreover, I feel like what I believe in is right, in some vague universal way. But at this moment, in this generation and while I’m at this age, it’s not.

But I’m sure that as ambiguous as moral values are now, it’s still wrong to leave your friend alone, just so you can go be young and have the drunken, sexualised mess that constitutes as “fun”.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd rather just have sex with YOU than a stranger.

Anonymous said...

"I don't see the appeal in that lifestyle."
I couldn't agree with you more. Casual sex just recently screwed up one of my close friendships, and left me feeling fairly hurt.
You're not alone in this boat.

Anonymous said...

ELLIE, i want to have SEX with you. please let me.

The Chicken said...

Wow, two people want to have sex with me! I should write about sex more often...

gorgeousgabe said...

that kind of thing is only really acceptable when everyone is like at a party or at your house or something and they're already about ready to turn in, and you just kind of sneak off and have sex with your girlfriend/guy/girl you've been fooling around with...

..but at the expense of other people? that's pretty weak.

a relationship is better than a casual fuck to me, that shit's not worth causing any trouble

Past posts