Sunday, November 11, 2007

PARTAY!

I like going out and partaying like it's 1999. Yes, like when I was 11, except with more alcohol.
My idea of going out and having a good time consists of a lot of alcohol, good company, and something to preoccupy myself with (usually dancing).

My going out experiences have ranged from unbelievably lame to epic nights of awesome. The unbelievably lame nights out have been a result of either myself or others making fatal partaying mistakes. Today, I would like to share with you how to have a good night out and how to avoid having a lame time.

How to Partay like it's 1999

  • Comfortable clothing is a must. You don't want to cut your night short because your ankles have collapsed from the stripper heels you've been wearing or your skinny emo jeans have ripped at the bum. Plus, it's really hard to dance in a dress that threatens to expose your areolas everytime you move.





    This can't be comfortable.

  • Leave your issues at home, please. Emo drunks are no fun. If i wanted drama, I'd stay home and watch The OC. I don't even watch The OC. That's how much I hate drama!
  • Don't go out with "I'm gonna pick up!" mentality. You'll end up coming off as desperate. And most human beings can smell desperation a mile away. And before you know it, you'll be chugging tweny jagerbombs and asking if you said they had a beautiful body, would they hold it against you, and then leaving with a red handprint on your cheek.
  • Don't bail on people at the last minute unless you're sick. It's common courtesy. Give whoever you're supposed to go with plenty of notice. There's nothing more lame than excitedly picking out a sexy outfit, having a few drinks at home and trying out your dance moves in front of a mirror then finding out everybody has decided to stay home instead.
  • Have a plan of where you want to go and what you want to do. It's good to have a backup plan too, in case the first one doesn't work out. Plus, it saves everybody standing around arguing about where they want to go. Talking is wasting precious drinking time.
  • Don't be too picky about where you want to go because somewhere doesn't play "your" music. I've been to skanky clubs, top 40 type bars, emo clubs, indie bars, metal bars, jazzy cocktail lounges and techno clubs. I've had a good time at all of them. The idea is to have a positive mindset. When you're in a group and they want to go somewhere you don't, either get over it or don't bother coming. Majority rules, and it's selfish to expect everyone to go where one person wants to go. And if going somewhere you don't want to go is really that horrible for you, go away. Nobody wants to party with a sulk. (This is why pre-planning a night out is a good idea).




Hey, don't look at me like that. So we're not at a totally alternative hardkore goffik club and you can't relate to any deep and meaningful lyrics. Cry me a river.
  • This goes for other times when you're not partaying : if you meet up with someone else along the way during your partay adventure, introduce the people you're with. There's nothing worse than being with someone, only to have them start chatting to someone and wonder whether you should jimmy in on their conversation or stand around like a dickhead until they're finished. Introducing people is good. Hell, maybe everybody will get along and you can call partay together. The more the merrier, right?
  • Know your alcohol limit. I know that when my stomach feels really full, I will probably throw up and cry tears of bitter, bitter vodka if I have anymore. This stops terrible and embarrassing things happening, like throwing up in the middle of the Brunswick St Mall, narrowly missing your friend's shoes.
I hope that helps. Happy partaying, everybody!


Quick personal bit:
I met Gotye! Well, not really. I went to see The Basics the other night, the band he drums for. You may know him from winning the Best Male award at the Arias and performing "Learnalilgivinalovin'.


A very talented man.

Whilst waiting for a drink at the bar, I saw a good looking man in a grey suit walk right next to me to the bar, get his drink, then walk away. Gotye, or Wally DeBacker, IN THE FLESH.
"THAT WAS GOTYE, OH MY GOD," I whispered at Dan.
Later, we sat out in the beer garden and drank. Erica pointed out that Wally was sitting a few tables away from us.
"Go buy him a beer," suggested Dan.
I seriously debated whether I should go over there and say hello or not. Although I would have liked to have shaken the hand of an Aria award winner who wrote one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, I knew that in my drunken state I probably would have stuttered, said something weird, spilt my drink on his nice suit and stepped on his toes. Plus, it was just a bit odd, considering the many nights I've spent howling along to "Heart's a Mess".

So, there is my story of how I sort of, but not really, met Wally DeBacker.
But I did meet Kris, the bassist. So there you go, that's my connection with fame right there.
The Basics put on a damn good show too!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. who hasn't met "kris the bassist"? Total Slut. And, evidently, gets cranky about hotel bills.

Anonymous said...

hahaha. who hasn't met "kris the bassist"? Total Slut. And, evidently, gets cranky about hotel bills.

Anonymous said...

are you fucking serious? how did that get there twice? now it's lost all meaning. lame.

Past posts