Thursday, November 15, 2007

Can I vote for the "I dont give a shit" party?

Two things have annoyed me lately.

First port of call: Radio.
I do not have a CD player in my car, nor can I be bothered to buy a stereo. So I must listen to the radio. There's nothing wrong with this, really.
EXCEPT FOR ONE THING.
When I'm on a long drive and I'm doing the flicking between radio stations, I'm looking for some music. It frustrates me that more often than not, there is no music playing on any of the four radio stations I listen to. Instead I am treated to impotence ads where Gary can now go all night long, or the pure comedic genius of the hosts making witty observations like:

- Men and women are different
- Sometimes, they have sex.
- Paris Hilton/Britney Spears/silly famous blonde woman is pretty dumb.




Men and women are different? Wow! That's so refreshing.


That's nice. Not. I don't listen to the radio to hear people talk, I listen to it so I can dance me some funky tunes. I can't sing along to your voices, can I?

(Note to people who will go, "Omg, you should stop listening to commercial radio": No. Triple J is just as bad in the afternoons. Yes, I think Dools and the like are quite hilarious, but I would still rather listen to the new Hives songs than a bunch of silly jokes and plugging various upcoming music festivals.)

If this wasn't bad enough, this mindless banter has been replaced with one topic and one topic only.

That's right kids: The upcoming federal election! Oh, joy.

And that brings me to my next point.



That was a pretty awesome segue into my next point, yes?


I am getting tired of hearing about the election.

I turned on the radio today to do my radio station flicking exercise while driving to taekwondo. One station was interviewing Julia Gillard. The others were all talking about the election (Oh wait, there was one radio station laughing about impotence or something). Eventually I screamed in rage, turned off the radio and sang loudly to myself instead.

There was an election ad before the movies. Uh, I want to see pretty people sing Beatles songs, thanks, not smug Australians telling me how awesome John Howard is.

I couldn't stand watching the TV the other night because there were at least two election ads for every ad break. God, I'd rather watch tampon ads.

And most of all, I tire of people asking who I'm voting for, then telling me who they're voting for, then telling me that I should vote for whoever they're voting for. It's starting to get to a point where I'm afraid to actually tell people, just so I can avoid a big debate over something I don't actually care about.

But wait! Am I not a journalist student? Should I not have my ears to the ground, following the election coverage with bated breath? Shouldn't I be concerned about the future of this country?

Yeah, I should. But to be honest, I really couldn't give a flying George Bush about politics. Oh yeah, and in case you haven't noticed, I'm much more interested in ordinary people than politicians. I find the entire affair incredibly frustrating.

Let's make my reasoning a bit clearer.

This election is between...


this wanker

and


and this douchebag.

I have this somewhat annoying compulsion of mine to see the good and bad in everything. This isn't very useful when I have to choose one or the other.

Some of the wanker's policies are quite good and work well for certain areas. Some of them don't work so well with some others. Some of the douchebag's promises will benefit some people, but not work so well for others. Neither of the leaders will ever do anything that will realistically benefit every single person in Australia. Oh, and to make things more confusing, both of the main parties are copying policies off each other.

Some unions are good, some unions are bad. Get over it.

Politicians are told by PR to avoid certain questions in interviews. There's a lot of information we're missing. Most of the good things we hear about politicians are from their own mouths. Most of the dodgy things they do are well-publicised. Reading the paper is painful for me. It depresses me that such idiots are in power of this country. And that's not just with one politician; it's all of them.

And of course, they break promises. Who could forget the wanker's promise that there would be no GST and low and behold, there's a GST? And who knows if the douchebag will keep his promises?

You may have figured out by now that I am having a bit of trouble with who to vote for. And no, engaging in lengthy debate with people who proudly proclaim who they're voting for and try to "help me decide" is not helping one little bit.

I have seen heaps of good friends fight nastily due to political preference. This disturbs me. What happened to tolerance and respect of other people's beliefs? Not many people like fundamentalist religious types who proclaim loudly that they are born again Jewish Christian Wiccans Cow Worshippers and anybody who isn't will burn in a tub of sulpheric acid for eternity. This is exactly the same thing.

Either way, whoever's elected will make some things good and some things bad. All it boils down to, really, is who you are in society and whether it will benefit you or not. But there are a lot of different people in this country, and not everybody is going to be happy with everything.

To be honest, I can't see much changing either way. Money will be thrown at things, but I can't see a major upheavel in the system without people getting up in arms over the change in infrastructure and the sacrifices made.

Vote Labour. Vote Liberal. Vote for the Communist Party. Hell, vote for the "I hate Asian girl bloggers with red glasses" party if you want.
I don't care.
I really, really don't care.
Just take notice that when I say "I don't care" in regards to the election, this is not an invitation to engage in lengthy political debate with me. It is the proclaimation of a very confused, exasperated, cynical girl who has to choice between a wanker and a douchebag to lead the country in the next election.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just not enrolled.
Well.. that's not so bad, considering I only just turned 18. But still- I could've voted this year if I could've been bothered to fill in the forms.
I just didn't want too.
On one hand, I can get all hand-over-my-heart and say I'm grateful to live in a country where we're allowed to vote for the government we want without getting shot..
On the other, I live in a country where all I want to do is shoot the government.
I see no win-win situation, or a win-lose. Just a lose-lose.
I definetly relate to how you feel about all the campaigning, the hype, the constant discussion. I try to sway the line of conversation as much as possible when this happens in my social circles.. it often fails. So instead I decide to kick back and play devil's advocate just for shits and giggles.
Get Pauline into power, says I. Watch everyone turn red in the face.

Unknown said...

I don't judge you for not knowing. You don't have to know, m'dear.

Don't let it get you down. Burdening yourself with "I should" won't help. Trust me, I'm anxious by nature. ;)

Past posts