Sunday, September 30, 2007

Video Clips that scared the shit out of me when i was a kid

If you were an Aussie kid growing up during the 90s, chances are you got up or stayed up until odd hours to watch rage.

I was a highly impressionable young kid and remember sitting there in the dark, quivering, remote tightly clenched in hand, as some frightening videos played on screen. Back in the 90s, trance/techno crossover songs weren't as sexualised as they are today. There was something dingy and dark about them, conjuring up thoughts of dark places where strange people would go. (I learnt later that these places were called "nightclubs".)

Click, I'd change the channel to a bright, happy sitcom, hoping such images I'd seen wouldn't give me nightmares.

After watching "A night at the Roxbury", I was reminded of such songs from my childhood rage watching, particularly that of Brainbug's "Nightmare".
"That's the alien song!" I yelped. "That song scared the shit out of me as a kid!"

With the help of Youtube, I uncovered these songs of memories past.

Video Clips That Scared the Shit of out Me when i was a kid

Brainbug - Nightmare


The song itself is fairly sinister sounding, but I'm relatively sure I had nightmares (har har) about this video clip when I was a kid. I wasn't wrong about the aliens. This also reminds me when I watched the terribly authoritive show "A Current Affair" one night when they interviewed a man who had apparently been abducted by an alien. They even showed obviously real footage of an alien! It never occurred to me that it was just a recreation of what the fellow supposedly saw. It didn't stop me from telling people in Year 4, very seriously, that aliens were DEFINITELY REAL because I saw them on TV!

Great song though. You gotta laugh at the awful costumes and flying saucers on strings flying about. Maybe I was scared of the dodgy special effects.

Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy, Hey Girl


Again, another somewhat sinister-sounding song with an equally terrifying video clip. Well, now that I watch it, my initial reaction is "HAHA CGI SKELETONS HAHA". But for some reason I remember completely crapping myself at the sight of skeletons dancing at a nightclub. I mean, argh. SKELETONS. I WANT MY MUMMY.
It's still a little bit creepy to this day. However, all fears are quashed at the end when that dodgy taxi driver/skeleton says, "Where you going, baybeh?"

Hooverphonics - Mad about you


When I saw this video clip as a youngun, I had a fairly basic understanding of love and sex. Men and women fell in love with each other. Sometimes men and men, or women and women. NOT WOMAN AND PLANT. This video clip definitely tugged the "this is wrong!" sensors in my brain. Later, I would find out that compared to beastiality, pedophilia, hentai tentacle sex, foot fetishes etc. it wasn't really that weird at all.

Still disturbs me a little bit though.

Green Jelly - Little Pig

Man, you try hearing the story about the Three Little Pigs then seeing this video clip. Mind warping for sure. I think I was also against bad, squishy claymation that seemed to be quite the novel special effect back then too.

X-Files Techno Remix

Ok, so this isn't the original video clip for the song. But seriously, what was the scariest thing you ever watched when you were a kid growing up in the 90s? That's right, the X-Files. Listening to the techno remix just made me think of the show, and I'd say this fanvideo pretty much sums up my thought process.

Well, I hope you enjoyed that. I'll add more if I can think of any.

For now, enjoy a video clip that scares the shit out of me TODAY>


Look at those high waisted pants! Camel toes galore. It makes me cringe, cross my legs, and thank god that I was not of clubbing age during the 90s.

No comments:

Past posts