Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Vista woes

So as you all well know, I am sitting here typing at my beautiful, shiny, glorious new laptop. I really love it.

One point of contention, however, is Windows Vista.


(courtesy of Penny Arcade)

And as a computer user who has used Windows XP extensively for, oh, I don't know, the last 8 years or so, it's a bit of a shock trying to get used to a new system. In a few years, everyone will be using it I suppose.

As much of a nerd as I am, I have to admit that I'm not completely into the niggly little tech details of computers. So I won't be able to tell you how well it utilises RAM or something.
However, I will give you...

the n00bs review of Vista.

First Impression
"Oh dear god! It's trying to be a Mac!"
It's just the little things. Like the translucent wipe when you minimise a window. Or the chunky, shiny icons on the side of the page. And apparently, the loading icon is the same as the Mac's.
Basically, the interface focuses more on graphics. I can't tell if it's a good thing or not. I nearly exploded with frustration when I used a Mac last, but I did like the pretty graphics. Sort of like an arty, attractive teen who writes nonsensical poetry which they claim to be deep and meaningful. Vista is a weird compromise between the familiarity of a Windows interface, and the pretty confusion of a Mac.

IE
Shock horror, I've actually been using Internet Explorer and not Mozilla Firefox. This is because Internet Explorer has basically included my most often-used feature in Firefox - tabbed windows. Apart from that, it annoys the living daylights out of me because of erm, the lack of File/Edit/etc toolbar. Instead, the various features of IE are accessible by little icons. Quite frustrating for the enterprising Vista n00b.

STOP. HAMMER TIME.
I'd heard that Vista was a bit over the top with security, and it doesn't disappoint. There are no less than FIVE icons in the little tray on the bottom right hand corner. Do I really need that much security? Not to mention, at least two windows pop up whenever I want to download something - it doesn't have a security certificate, do I want to continue? You're about to download something and it could have a virus! Do you want to continue?
This insanity is brought to you by a new thing called Windows Defender, a program designed to unnecessary scare the n00bs and patronise computer users who aren't dumb enough to think that downloading a program called ThisIsaVirus.exe is a bad idea. Sometimes it's useful, like when I've realised that in the midst of my clicking spree that I've clicked the wrong button, but most of the time it's pretty unnecessary.

Cool bits
Oh my god. It has Mahjong.

Also the scrolling menu is very useful. All the programs are accessible just by clicking a button and scrolling down a little section. I used to hate waiting for the other portion of the start menu to load if I had a lot of stuff installed on the computer, and then fiddling around and making sure it didn't disappear if I moved the mouse in a certain direction. So thumbs up, efficiency.


Lame bits
I had to wait 15 minutes on the bus for it to configure security settings. Not only did I look like a complete loser on the bus, just staring at this blank screen that said "Configuring security settings", but it wasted a good chunk of my laptop battery.

Some of the icons have changed. It took me a few hours to find Windows Explorer, because it doesn't look like a little yellow folder anymore.

So there you have it, guys. Vista is both irritating, yet efficient, and plagiarises other programs so blatantly that you have to wonder why, and then you realise that no one is dumb enough to sue Bill Gates. Have fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070331

bandersnatch said...

Vista smells funny. I also find it HILARIOUS that they had packaged the CD keys OUTSIDE the box. I mean, hell thats 1/2 of what you pay for, those little 10 digit numbers so that the cracked copy you downloaded will work properly. (snickerlol)

Past posts